My impromptu 2 1/2 month trip to Milan, Italy....and everywhere in between....with my boyfriend Shane :)

Monday, January 4, 2010

I LOVE SORRENTO!!

We awoke this morning (yes, I am finally up-to-date) after a good night's sleep and prepared to go see the coastal world. The hostel provided a tasty continental breakfast of cream-filled croissants, miniature toast, and freshly made coffee or cappuccino. Yet another reason why it will get a good review. We ate our fill.

After a short 10 minute walk to the train station and another 5 minute ride to the Sorrento stop, I entered the perfect, most quaint, beautiful little town I have ever been in. It is, to me, what Italy is all about. Narrow cobblestone streets, flowers in window pots, outdoor cafes, and best of all, an elevated view of the Tyrrhenian Sea. It has the best of all worlds: the sea, mountains, and palm trees!

I am sooo happy we decided to stay an extra night and see this place. I never knew anything about Sorrento and really didn't care, until I saw it. I now have a dream to buy a timeshare on top of the highest hill, and visit often. Not sure that will ever happen, but I can hope right?!

Sorrento only took half a day to see really, and it was starting to rain by the time we decided to head back to our hostel. On the way to the station I stopped in a shop to look at the clothes, and ended up buying a really cute red sweater that comes to a little above my knees. That's their style here; long coats, skinny jeans and always, always a pair of boots, be it high-heeled or flat.

We stopped in another grocery store to buy lunch foods on our way back. While there we happened to notice a box package containing the cake and wine that the hostel in Rome had gifted us, and the package deal, which included an entire cake and an entire bottle of wine, cost a whopping.....3 Euro?? Say what? Here we thought they'd gone all out on their guests but it costs them maybe .50 Euro per guest? Wow. Ok. I suppose we have to take into consideration the fact that it was a one star hotel....

Our bellies freshly full from another grocery store meal, we spent the rest of the day lazing around the hostel enjoying the luxuries of WiFi. It was raining outside anyways, and there wasn't much more to see in Sorrento. We booked the same hostel we stayed at in Milan for tomorrow night, deciding to just go back so we can get our apartment situation figured out and make sure our luggage hasn't been carried off.

Dinner tonight was much to be desired. Shane ordered steak and fries, and after much pondering I hesitatingly ordered the Mediterranean salad, which the guy said contained "lettuce, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, corn............" The only reasons I ordered it were: A. the fries I wanted came with the steak, and I don't eat steak, B. his accent was so strong I couldn't understand the verbal menu and didn't feel like asking him to repeat it, and C. I only eat chicken, otherwise I'm vegetarian, and mostly everything on that menu was NOT chicken.

Well....Shane's steak came out looking like a cut-out slab of beef that had been pounded to a pulp, put on the grill for a couple minutes, and thrown onto the plate without seasonings. Shane said it was the worst, tasteless steak he'd ever had, with lots of fat on it. My Mediterranean salad looked like.....weeds and cheese?? What the.... What happened to the tomatoes and corn?? And since when do I eat "lettuce" that looks like weeds?? One bite told me there was a very good reason I have always refused to eat that kind of salad greens. It came with french bread, which was my only hope, but I just couldn't make myself be happy feeding my starving belly with those bitter weeds and cheese. So I went out of my comfort zone and went up to the waiter at the bar and questioned my salad that was supposed to have tomatoes and corn. (I don't even like corn in my salad, but the guy said it was supposed to have corn!!) In the middle of my pitch about my lacking salad, I decided I wanted something different altogether, so I went even farther out of my comfort zone and made myself request it....pasta with eggplant. Now, I don't like eggplant either, but I tasted some of Shane's last night and it was actually pretty good--tons better than that bitter stuff I had on my plate right then. So although I felt kinda bad about it, I got my pasta and eggplant. It had twice as much eggplant in it as Shane's had had, and I ended up pushing it all to the side. I returned my uneaten salad...but we ate the bread that came with it. Haha. All in all, it came to only 12 Euros, 6 each, so we didn't do too terribly bad. We'll be sure to make up for it tomorrow at breakfast. ;) Oh, and that good review might go down a notch or two...

Our roommates left today. The couple left a pair of headphones and the other two left an unopened bottle of wine. I guess now I'll have two to sell on Ebay! Merry Christmas to us!

Addendum: My sister just mentioned the fact that maybe you can't sell alcohol on Ebay. Good point.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictures. They make it come alive. Praying for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh i want to go back. you dont remember me raving about sorrento and cinque terra? ah man i really wish i was there. thanks for the pics. they are awesome.

    ReplyDelete